U.S. Department of Commerce - National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) - Oceanic and Atmospheric Research (OAR)
05/15/19 5:00 PM ET
Grants to USA, Puerto Rico, and Guam private and public corporations, agencies, individuals, and other entities collaborating with eligible coastal and lake-based institutions for capacity-building education, outreach, and research in aquaculture. LOIs must be submitted prior to applying.
The collaborative programs initiated through this competition will serve as hubs for fully integrated research, outreach, and education that will provide broad, non-proprietary support and investment in building, and/or enhancing a geographic or topical aquaculture industry. Successful applicants will propose collaborative programs in which multiple disciplines and sources of knowledge are integrated holistically to lead to new and novel understanding and solutions.
Selected collaborative programs will be required to participate in an annual National Sea Grant Aquaculture Symposium to share results of work conducted, challenges, and next steps.
This competition will support proposals that will create aquaculture-focused geographic or topical collaborative programs that are consistent with Sea Grant’s focus area of Sustainable Fisheries and Aquaculture (SFA) and the Sea Grant Network 10-year Aquaculture Vision in support of NOAA and Department of Commerce aquaculture goals. For this competition, geographic or topical collaborative programs include the advancement of sustainable aquaculture practices that serve to increase the production of protein from marine (ocean, coastal and Great Lakes) systems, including traditional and indigenous practices.
Successful applications will address the following:
- Conduct a comprehensive assessment of existing knowledge for the topic and/or geography of focus;
- Involve diverse partnerships and stakeholders (including across sectors and among Sea Grant Programs) in the collaborative program proposed;
- Support critical extension/technology transfer capacity to enhance the synthesis and transfer of past research as well as inform next generation efforts; and
- Advance the topic or geography of focus to the next appropriate phase of development. Depending on the current status for a particular topic and/or geography, this may include addressing any one or more of the following activities as well as others not specifically listed here:
- Prioritizing and supporting research to remove production barriers or bottlenecks related to disease, genetics and genomics, hatchery seed stock, feed availability, engineering limitations and/or other topics;
- Addressing social, behavioral, economic and/or policy priorities associated with the establishment of environmentally and economically sustainable domestic aquaculture; and/or
- Implementing existing plans to advance aquaculture, which could support and/or form the basis of out-year demonstration projects within the collaborative.
For more program background and information, see the NOFO document in Attached Documents below.
GrantWatch ID#: 185573
Up to a total cost of $1,200,000 in Federal funds
The anticipated start date is September 1, 2019, with projects to be completed by August 31, 2022.
Before starting your grant application, please review the funding source's website listed below for updates/changes/addendums/conferences/LOIs.
Submit letters of intent and questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The National Sea Grant Office mailing address is:
NOAA Sea Grant
1315 East-West Highway SSMC3, R/SG
Silver Spring, MD 20910
USA: Alabama; Alaska; Arizona; Arkansas; California; Colorado; Connecticut; Delaware; Florida; Georgia; Hawaii; Idaho; Illinois; Indiana; Iowa; Kansas; Kentucky; Louisiana; Maine; Maryland; Massachusetts; Michigan; Minnesota; Mississippi; Missouri; Montana; Nebraska; Nevada; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York City; New York; North Carolina; North Dakota; Ohio; Oklahoma; Oregon; Pennsylvania; Rhode Island; South Carolina; South Dakota; Tennessee; Texas; Utah; Vermont; Virginia; Washington, DC; Washington; West Virginia; Wisconsin; Wyoming
USA Territories: Guam (USA) Puerto Rico (USA)